Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Melanie Gould-Iditarod Dog Musher

Dear Friends, Family, and Dog Lovers,

As my team and I prepare for our 5th Iditarod Race, I’ve been thinking about why I’m driven to mush 1200 miles through the Alaskan Wilderness once again. I find myself in constant pursuit of truth and understanding, trying to figure out how I fit into a changing world. It seems that as society progresses, we have gradually left behind the natural order of things. On a global level, we have trouble recognizing our simple commonality as human beings. The thing is, while we focus on our differences, our basic needs remain the same. Throughout time, the goals of basic survival and some kind of inner peace have been superseded by our attachment to power and material possessions. And so we forget the symbiotic relation between nature and man. That’s why I mush to Nome; I don’t want to forget…


iditarod