Thursday, January 27, 2005

Waiting for Star wars

Jeff Tweiten lives on a periwinkle blue, fold-out futon on the sidewalk in front of the Cinerama Theatre.Waiting.
For Godot, you wonder? An organ transplant? The end of the world?
To the world, he is "the Star Wars guy," an obsessed Quixote whose windwills are a series of movies about a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.He is not homeless, but camping out for 139 days. Waiting to be the first person in line for the next Star Wars movie.

"I think 'Star Wars' is the quintessential modern myth," says Tweiten. "It's the hero story, the breaking away from home and family and proving yourself in the world."

Just who is this sidewalk Skywalker wearing sunglasses and a wool pea coat?

Tweiten is a 27-year-old graphic artist who grew up on Bainbridge Island and attended the Art Institute of Seattle. Before moving to the street, he dwelled in a Belltown apartment. To make ends meet, he also makes ceramic raku masks, plays poker and picks up occasional odd jobs.

He's been called a loser, a geek, a Peter Pan who refuses to grow up and get a life. A few days ago, someone called him a "bum" for the first time.

"I don't really care how people label me," Tweiten says. "If they are so narrow-minded and can only see that one aspect of me, I kind of pity them."

Pity him not. He's a smart, articulate guy who is perfectly comfortable with this life decision. He sees it as a unique experience and a last opportunity -- "Revenge of the Sith" is the final film in Lucas' space saga.

He's got also his own blog. Here it is.Link
"NO snow in seattle last night. It wasn't even that cold. Casey is just now done with a new update it should be up on the site in a day or two. Most likely two...I have a feeling that he is getting tanked tonight. As for me, I'm still out here in the cold playing on. To some, "just let it go" & to some I hope when you're at a bar tonight raise a glass for me & say "Play on jeff, play on."